Thursday, October 29, 2009

How School Gave Me a New View

The article about “Rigor Redefined” by Tony Wagner made me think about the kinds of skills I am being taught in school. The article talked about the seven skills needed to survive in a 21st century work environment.

One skill in particular stood out to me was the first one critical thinking that is exactly what we are focusing on in my Freshmen English class. The article focused on the work part of critical thinking but it started in my mind to think about the life portion of thinking I remember when I was taught to think very linearly that is very superficial thinking. For example when doing my history homework during the 2008 election the homework was to write my thoughts on the election I was surprised to see that I didn’t really have an opinion since I was relating the election to homework I didn’t make my own opinion all I did was memorize the information to regurgitate it 3 months later for a final. Now that I have been through part of the course focusing on critical thinking and asking questions to formulate my own opinion I feel that now I am real human being since before I was just a person who was trained to listen memorize regurgitate and repeat instead of applying my knowledge to solve problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment