Thursday, September 17, 2009

The New Geek:Everyone

When I got home from school I booted up my computer and started to log onto my google reader and I noticed something which caught my eye in Mr.Fischs Fischbowl blog the title was “Linux on Netbooks and Whiskers on Kittens” being a linux user I was interested to see how schools were utilizing this operating system which I thought was only for advanced computer users and designers.

After reading about how Mr.Fisch modified a linux distro to power the EEE Netbooks. The idea struck me that as illustrated by Mr.Fisch in his “Did you know PowerPoint“change is happening right now. Just one year ago being a linux at least for me made me a computer genius but now the world has changed and everyone realizes that technology will be an essential art of our lives so learning to use it was not an uncross able boundary that only those who gave up their social lives could cross. As for the linux distribution, I have experienced its streamlined and more productive environment firsthand on my pc (I’m currently running Ubuntu, XP, Vista, Xubuntu, and Windows 7 beta on my computer) and I am very happy that the educational experts have decided to use this excellent OS. Maybe when the staff gets more accustomed to the linux terminal there could be a programming class taught by a staff member to further improve the current operating system. There would be many upsides to a class like this because not only would the students be challenged by the current software language but they would be learning essential skills for a 21st century work environment. It is clear that programming will be an invaluable skill in a work place run by computers (which nowadays is pretty much everywhere). I consider myself a technically adept person so the ideas conveyed by al my teachers of a constantly changing world intrigues me because that is the essence of programming constantly improving software and hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment